This module provides an improved GPS functionality with a better and faster accuracy location reference.
The stock android gps.conf file found in “/system/etc/gps.conf” or “/system/vendor/etc/gps.conf” is replaced with a new one correctly edited for a better improvement and faster satellite signals fix/lock.
This file is responsible for the correct GPS operation and functionality.
The default file found in most ROMs is very wrong and has a lot of bad information and settings for the correct operation and functionality of the GPS and A-GPS.
- A device with Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset based.
- Rooted with Magisk and Magisk Manager indeed installed.
Note: Tested on the Xiaomi MI 5 running Android Nougat 7.1.2/LineageOS 14.1 and MIUI 9 Stable 220.127.116.11 and Android Oreo 8.1.0/LineageOS 15.1 and MIUI 10 Global Beta 8.6.21 with Magisk v16.4 (Beta).
Download Optimized GPS File Replacer Magisk Module
You can get the latest version of Optimized GPS File Replacer by clicking the below link:
It’s Magisk install-able, don’t install it by TWRP but with Magisk instead!
- Go to Magisk Manager Modules section.
- Click on + yellow button and search/find for this “optimizedgpsconf.zip” file and long press on it.
- Select open and after installed then reboot your device.
- After rebooted your device, make sure your location settings is setup on mode Device only.
- Skirt outdoors, can be in the yard of your house or anywhere else with a line of sight to the sky and stay in that outdoor place.
- Download some Compass app on Google Play Store (I recommend the Compass Steel 3D) and then calibrate the compass.
- Download GPS Locker app on Google Play Store and open the app and wait for the first time fix/lock. This is necessary and essential because the app will recognize some GPS satellites signals for the very first time.
- Go to Magisk Manager Downloads section.
- Search/Find “Global Optimized GPS File Replacer”.
- Tap on the download button and then on INSTALL.
- Wait a moment to finish downloading and installing.
- When finished tap on REBOOT.
- Same 4, 5, 6 and 7 steps of Option 1 – Manually.Note 1: Location mode “Battery saving” is gone due to Google’s location accuracy is now a binary setting. So consider using the “High accuracy” mode one.
Note 2: Consider using the GPS Locker app because it is much better than the GPS Test and GPS Data. You just need to open it once and wait for fix, then your gps signal is locked and when you close it (just press Cancel in “Unlock GPS on exit” message) the app keep awake running in the background.
Note 3: GPS was made to work in outdoor places. For indoor/enclosed places such as inside of your house don’t forget that, it will take a few minutes to fix. It drains more battery, but is required if you’re an advanced user that use gps all the time.